Prevent Home Fires During this Sumner
As per U.S. fire departments respond to a home fire every 86 seconds. That’s over 30,000 fires a month. Home fires can occur for a variety of reasons, but many are preventable. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires, accounting for over half of home fires, followed by heating equipment, electrical malfunction, intentional fires and smoking materials.
Home fires are not 100% reventable. Though, you can take necessary steps today to reduce your risk of home fires. Here’s how:
• Install and maintain smoke alarms on every floor of your home and within every bedroom. Roughly 50% of home fire deaths occur during the night while people are sleeping.
• Never leave food cooking unattended, especially deep fryers and other frying equipment.
• Avoid using portable and fixed space heaters, as heating equipment is the second leading cause of home fire deaths.
• Have a fire plan that gets you out of your home in less than two minutes and practice it.
• Avoid smoking in the house.