Commercial Property Fire Prevention
When it comes to fire protection for commercial buildings, mistakes are never an option. If an error is made in fire protection, serious and irreversible damage can occur to the building itself and the contents within. Building occupants can also be placed in harm’s way should a flaw in fire protection occur.
In order to keep your commercial building safe, consider the following dos and don’ts within fire protection.
Fire and smoke alarms are the first defense for commercial buildings when a fire occurs.
- Ensuring the alarm system is regularly inspected in line with regulation
- Maintaining documentation surrounding alarm activity and maintenance
- Testing your alarm system regularly to ensure proper function
- Creating an action plan for building residents for when the alarm is set off
- Downplaying or brushing off the need to have regular maintenance and testing for your fire alarm system
Extinguishers and Suppression Systems
Extinguishers can be used by individuals to manage small fires while suppression systems can help prevent serious damage on a larger scale.
- Conducting regular tests to ensure proper function and pressure
- Scheduling routine maintenance through contractors
- Storing extinguishers in a clear and open space that makes them easily accessible
- Providing proper training for occupants
- Putting off regularly scheduled inspections and tests to ensure function
- Neglecting to train occupants on proper extinguisher use and handling
- Keeping extinguishers in an area that is cluttered, difficult to get to, or where heat is constantly present
In the case of emergencies like a fire, emergency lighting sources should be available in order to provide occupants with a safe pathway from the building.
- Installing lighting throughout the building to provide effective light in all occupied areas
- Scheduling regular maintenance and inspection
- Failing to install proper lighting
- Neglecting to have regular maintenance and inspection
We’ll treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care. If you suffer a fire damage event, call SERVPRO of Branford / Shoreline.
We are open 24/7 for emergency response services!