Preventing Christmas Tree Fire Damage in Branford
Everyone loves getting into the holiday spirit by decorating their home this time of year. But, decorations like Christmas trees and lights may pose a fire hazard to your home.
Did you know:
- More than one of every four home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
- A heat source to close to a Christmas tree causes one in every four of holiday fires.
- Nearly half of all holiday decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.
To prevent fire damage in your home this holiday season, SERVPRO of Branford / Shoreline recommends following these fire safety tips.
- If buying a real tree, choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched. This will lower the risk of fire due to a dry tree.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source: fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit. This is a fire hazard.
- Add water to the tree stand and be sure to add water daily. A dry, dying tree increases risk of fire.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
SERVPRO of Branford / Shoreline hopes that you will follow these Christmas tree fire safety tips to stay safe this holiday season!