Burst Pipe Cleanup Tips For Branford Homeowners
Burst pipes are a nightmare that no one wants to face, plain and simple. They can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to your property. Knowing what to do when it happens can not only help preserve your home, but your wallet as well.
8 Steps To Take When You Find A Burst Pipe:
- Turn off your main water supply. If standing water is near any electrical appliances, shut off the power before you start cleaning. Safety first!
- Call a plumber. You’ll need help repairing the broken water pipes – we wouldn’t recommend fixing your plumbing system yourself!
- Remove wet furniture, carpets and personal items from the rooms affected by water damage. Wait to see if they’re savable – you have a few other problems to solve first. If needed, SERVPRO of Branford provides contents restoration services.
- Remove standing water. Try to use towels and mops to clean the water up. If there’s a large amount, you may want to consider buying a wet-dry shop vac to remove all water.
- Dry out the water-damaged area. Turn fans on their highest settings and set up dehumidifiers to try and get rid of all moisture in the room. If there was a large amount of standing water or the room was flooded for an long amount of time, household fans and dehumidifiers may not be able to completely dry the room.
- If you find that water has been absorbed into the subfloor, drywall, carpeting, or cabinets, the best next step would be to contact a professional water damage restoration company, like SERVPRO of Branford. Water damage restoration companies use moisture readers and professional grade drying equipment to ensure your home has been properly dried. The accuracy of this equipment helps prevent future mold growth or structural deterioration.
- If needed, restore and rebuild the water damaged area. You may need to paint, install new floor, carpet or cabinets, or deeply clean the affected area.
- EXTRA TIP: If the pipe that broke was frozen, be sure to inspect all the pipes around your house where cold weather could cause water to freeze. Areas that should get special attention are pipes that are exposed, along exterior walls, or in unheated places like basements and attics. If the water flow or water pressure is low from these pipes, it's likely they’re starting to freeze.
Why Do I Need To Properly Dry Areas Affected By Water Damage?
If you don’t take the steps to properly mitigate water damage, multiple problems can result over time. Check out our water damage timeline for more details.
- Mold and mildew can begin to grow and spread around your home in as little as 48 hours if saturated areas are left unmitigated.
- Paint may begin to bubble and blister.
- Wood flooring may swell, warp or begin to come up.
- Over time, major water damage that is left unmitigated can cause serious structural safety issues and drive up restoration and reconstruction costs.
Will My Homeowner’s Insurance Cover Damage From A Burst Pipe?
Generally, the damage will be covered by your homeowner’s insurance since it is a sudden and unexpected loss.
However, you may have to show that:
1) The damage in your home came from the burst pipe and 2) You weren’t responsible for it breaking in the first place. (For example, neglecting to repair an old and corroded pipe may result in your claim being denied – as you could have fixed the issue beforehand)
If you’re unsure about your coverage, call your insurance agent and ask them.
SERVPRO of Branford can also guide you through the insurance claim process. Our First Responders can review your insurance on site, tell you if your loss will be covered, and the best ways to file your claim to ensure it isn’t denied.
Have Questions or Need Help? Call SERVPRO of Branford for Water Damage Cleanup & Repair 800-734-3213
We are highly trained water removal and cleanup specialists and are ready to service your Branford area home when flooding or water leaks cause water damage.
SERVPRO of Branford/Shoreline provides all customers:
- 24/7/365 Rapid emergency service
- Free Inspections
- Free estimates
- Direct insurance billing & guidance through the insurance process.