What To Do After Storm Damage in New Haven County
When strong summer storms, microbursts, or tornadoes come through New Haven County, they can create a devastating amount of damage to your home or business. As we get into severe weather season, it’s a good idea to be prepared if disaster strikes your property to help minimize damages and stay safe. If you’re in need of immediate assistance, call SERVPRO of Branford/Shoreline at 800-734-3213.
Types of Weather Damage
1 - Wind Damage
Winds from strong storms, hurricanes, or tornadoes can cause serious damage to your property. These winds can curl or rip shingles off your roof or bend and rip the siding off your home. Although these kinds of damages may be easily fixed, the larger issue is that it opens your home up to roof leaks, water damage, and exposes the interior of your property to rain and pests.
2 - Hail Damage
Hail storms are mostly known for causing damage to your car during the summer - but they can spell trouble for your home as well. Depending on the size, hail stones can break windows, crack the siding of your home, or even puncture the shingles of your roof. Signs of roof storm damage from hail includes split shingles, the roof felt being exposed, or impact marks on the shingles. Paying attention to these signs can help prevent roof leaks in your home and water damage down the line.
3 - Impact Damage
Impact damage can be the most destructive out of the different types of storm damage. This damage is from things like fallen trees, branches or power lines. A single fallen tree can demolish an entire home or business if large enough - and even smaller impact damages can displace you from your home or business for a length of time.
It’s important to deal with impact storm damage as soon as possible to help prevent further damage to your home. Holes in roofs or entire open rooms are susceptible to flooding and water damage, and will deteriorate more over time. This moisture in your property will then also cause structural issues and eventually mold may begin to grow.
4 - Lightning Damage
When summer thunderstorms roll through the Branford area, you are at risk of damages resulting from fire or smoke if lightning unfortunately strikes your property. This type of weather damage is less common than the others, but can become severe if you suffer from a fire.
Does Home Insurance Cover Storm Damage?
Standard homeowner’s insurance does cover most kinds of weather damage. This includes wind, hail, lightning, and impact damages. Since these losses are unpredictable and there is nothing you could have reasonably done as a homeowner to prevent the damages from happening, they’re covered by your policy.
Unfortunately, there are kinds of storm damage that are likely not covered by your insurance policy. This includes flooding from storms and earthquakes. Flooding from storms and heavy rains is not covered because it is often groundwater entering your property, and this is something that can be prevented by you as a homeowner. Groundwater enters through basement seepage, cracks or unsealed areas, or due to basement sump pump failures.
To prevent these things, you could waterproof your basement or have a back-up sump pump. If you would like to be covered by flooding, you would likely need to purchase additional flood insurance or sump pump insurance.
What To Do After Weather Damage
- Wait until it is safe to inspect your property. You should not go outside during a hailstorm to inspect storm damage to your home.
- Assess the damages to your home. Take pictures for your insurance company before you do anything. Look for signs of water damage, cracks in windows, lifted shingles, opened siding, holes in areas of your home, or more.
- If needed, turn off the power and gas in your home. This is applicable in major water damage or flooding situations to prevent danger to yourself or those who will help cleanup damages.
- Contact your insurance company. Find out if your loss is covered and file a claim. Your insurance company will likely inform you of other steps you need to take.
- Prevent further damage to your home. If there is a hole in your roof or a window, take steps to board it up to keep the elements outside of your home. Do your best with what you have on hand.
- Contact a storm damage company. Companies like SERVPRO of Meriden can help you throughout the entire process of cleaning, repairing, and restoring your home. SERVPRO can even help you file your claim and handle the billing process with your insurance company.
How Can SERVPRO Help?
SERVPRO of Branford/Shoreline offers 24/7 emergency services 365 days a year. If you find yourself in need of board up, water damage, or storm damage services - call us today! 800-734-3213