Water Leak Cleanup in East Haven
Need immediate help with water damage or flooding from a leak in the East Haven area? Call SERVPRO of Branford/Shoreline 24/7 for rapid emergency water cleanup services.
What To Do When You Find A Water Leak
Did you know?One small crack in a leaking pipe can pour out 250 gallons of water per day. When even a small water leak in East Haven isn't handled promptly, significant water damage will occur - So here's what you should do.
1. Find the source of the water leak.
It's not always clear where water is coming from in your home or business - especially when the leak is behind a wall or in the ceiling. Check for leaks by looking for signs of bubbling, discolored or warped walls, floors, and ceilings.
If these areas are dry, then inspect your appliances. It's common for washing machines to leak from their back hoses, water heaters can leak from multiple sources, and even your furnace or refrigerator leak water. If you have trouble finding the source, call a plumber to help.
2. Turn off the water and stop the source.
Plumbing leaks will continue so long as the water is still flowing through the pipes - so be quick to turn it off once you find the source. For some other types of leaks, you may need to let the water run it's course - Such as when your washing machine begins leaking while doing laundry. You can turn off the machine and the water - but it will still continue to leak until it is empty or at a level it can no longer do so. Stopping the source of water is extremely important to prevent further damages to your home or business.
3. Move any wet or water damaged materials.
This will help prevent further damage to your furniture or other belongings in your home or business, and make the clean up process easier for you.
4. Begin water cleanup - or call a water damage restoration company.
Depending on the amount of water, you may be able to handle the clean up by yourself - but this is not always wise to do.
For a small leak or water spill, you can do the following:
- Get as much water as you can up from the floor. Use a wet dry vacuum, towels, and mops.
- Set up any fans and dehumidifiers you have in wet areas to help dry them out.
If you take these steps and there is still standing water, saturated carpets, or affected hardwood floors - You should call in professional help and think about filing an insurance claim. Depending on where the leak started in your home, you may not have the tools needed to completely clean up all water and ensure that all areas of your property are properly dried.
For example: If a water pipe broke in the second floor bathroom of your home and leaked all the way down into your basement - You would not only have standing water in the basement but also water damage to ceilings, walls, and floors that can get progressively worse over time.
This kind of water damage would require flood cuts and demolition of affected areas to ensure everything can be dried out. If water damage is not addressed properly, mold and mildew can begin to grow in as little as 48 hours and continue to spread across your property.
How Can You Prevent Water Leaks?
There are some ways that you can help ensure you don't experience water leaks or flooding in your East Haven area home or business.
- Pay attention to any unexpected changes in your water bill. If a bill shows unexpectedly high usage, this could be a sign there is an unknown leak somewhere on your property.
- Looks for signs of wear in your plumbing system. Signs include noisy pipes, moisture on walls, or rust stained water. These things would signal that your water pipes are getting old and are more susceptible to breaking or leaking.
- Invest in leak detection systems for your water heater or other appliances. It's extremely common for appliances like water heaters to have slow leaks over time that go unnoticed, especially when they are tucked away in an area of your home you don't inspect often. Some detection systems can send an alert right to your phone of a possible water leak and allows you to stop it as soon as possible.
Need Help With Water Leaks in East Haven? Call Us 24/7! 800-734-3213
SERVPRO of Branford/Shoreline is a 24/7 damage restoration company specializing in fire damage, water damage, mold remediation, and cleaning services. We're here to make any disaster "Like it never even happened."